• Post category:HOH Book

The original deed for the site of 1 Riverside Drive in NYC imposed “a ban on erecting a slaughterhouse, brewery, livery stable, carpenter shop, nail factory, sugar refinery, menagerie, ‘or any other manufactory, trade business, or calling which may be in anywise dangerous, noxious, or offensive to the neighboring inhabitants.’” The result was this five-story Beaux Arts limestone home built in 1901 for Lydia S.F. Prentiss. An unusual triangular courtyard separates it from its neighbor on W. 72nd Street. The Prentiss home later became the Nippon Club, an exclusive gentlemen’s club for wealthy Japanese Americans. Today it is the Islamic Cultural Center of New York. Text and photo from Heaven on the Hudson: Mansions, Monuments, and Marvels of Riverside Park.